You know those chocolate, foil-wrapped, segmented oranges you find in stores around Christmas?
My partner used to love those – before he was vegan.
And, so I created a chocolate orange cake for him. I riffed a little on my favorite vegan chocolate crazy cake and added gharardelli dark chocolate chips, orange juice, and pure orange extract.
Oh … my … goodness.
So here is the recipe. My late Christmas gift to you. Thanks to everyone for your support and readership. I hope to see you much more frequently in 2014!
- 1 1/2 cups self-rising Flour
- 1 cup unrefined Sugar
- 3 tablespoons Dark Cocoa Powder
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 teaspoon Pure Orange Extract
- 1 tablespoon Vinegar
- 5 tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- One cup Orange Juice
- 1/3 cup vegan Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips or 1 vegan Dark Chocolate Bar, broken into chunks (optional)
- Cooking Spray or a little extra oil for the baking pan
Preheat oven to 350 and spray a 9 x 11 pan with cooking spray.
Combine flour, sugar, and dark cocoa powder. Stir until well blended and any flour lumps are broken up.
Add the vanilla extract, pure orange extract, vinegar, and vegetable oil.
Pour the cup of orange juice over all and stir well. Don’t over-mix.
Stir the chocolate chips or chunks gently into the batter.
Pour into the cooking pan and bake at 350 for 35 minutes.