It’s the New Year, and everyone’s talking about goals.
This year, instead of (or in addition to) setting goals, why not start 10 habits that will bring health and happiness to your life?
The rules are simple:
The habit must be something that can be done EVERY DAY. You are statistically much more likely to make a habit of something you do every day, than something you do only two or three times a week. For example, you are more likely to take a 20 minute walk every day than go to the gym three times a week. Or have a green smoothie every day than a salad for lunch every other day.
Half of your 10 new habits should be something FUN, something that you will look forward to. Something that, maybe, you always want to do but never seem to find time for. Examples might be:
- Getting out your old guitar and playing a song each evening
- Reading for at least 15 minutes each day
- Taking a long, hot bubble bath right before bed
- Getting up 15 minutes earlier each day to enjoy the sunrise with a cup of tea or mug of good coffee
- Spending quality one-on-one time with your partner, child, or pet
- Meditation or prayer
- Spending time in nature
The other 5 habits should be something that you know will be good for you, but it should be something relatively easy that YOU DON’T MIND DOING. It is very important not to dread this habit! Examples might be:
- Flossing your teeth EVERY day
- Getting an hour more sleep at night
- Taking daily vitamin(s)
- Drinking 8 glasses of water (hydration is boring, but necessary)
- Removing all your makeup before bed
- Drinking a fruit smoothie if you tend not to eat enough fruit, or a green smoothie if you don’t like eating leafy greens
You get the idea. Combine five fun things you’ll look forward to doing with five boring things you know you’ll feel better if you do. In twenty-one days (that’s how long it takes to form a habit) you’ll not only be happier, but healthier. And once you’re (well-rested/well-hydrated/no longer have bleeding gums) you’ll have that much more energy to spend more time on the fun things! Which in turn will give you more positive energy to tackle more boring “shoulds” … Instead of a vicious cycle, it becomes a vital cycle!
Give it a try for 21 days … and kick-start the best year ever!